Welcome to Cranky Puppy Farm!

This blog belongs to two Gen X-er's smackdab in downtown Kansas City where we've been renovating and decorating two old Victorians built in the 1890's. Our life is filled with 3 demanding Pomeranians (1 of them cranky, of course), honking cars, noisy neighbors and the hustle and bustle of city life but we dream of the day when we can move to our 40-acre farm and hear nothing but the wind and the cows next door. Until then, we're chronicling our triumphs and mishaps here as we try to garden and preserve on 2 city lots, raise chickens, and learn all those things we should have learned from our grandparents. Welcome to our world - we hope you'll stay awhile!

This Week's Garden Progress

Monday, March 19, 2012

I'm looking at the clock and Spring is just an hour
and 3 minutes away!    Woohoo! 

J. and I got busy this weekend in the garden with some chores and a pretty good sized honey-do list.  It all started with my garden chores for this week:

Click to biggify this if you can't read it

Pretty cool, huh?  That's a screenshot out of a new online tool called Smart Gardener that I'm using to manage my garden this year.  The cool thing about it (besides it being free) is that you can design your garden beds to size, then pick the plants you want to grow and it will send you these weekly "to do" lists based on what zone you're in.  It has a ton of other features as well, so I think  I'll do a post tomorrow just about Smart Gardener and some other online tools that are out there.

I was naughty and didn't do my homework - I actually decided NOT to plant the carrots as the schedule dictates because the weatherman is calling for rain for the next 4 or 5 days.  I was a little afraid that the seeds would either get washed away or not germinate because they were too soggy.  My plan is to wait until next weekend and see if we get better weather.

But....we did get alot of the honey-do list done:

  • Built the worm condo and added the new inhabitants
  • Planted another dwarf Honeycrisp apple tree (we now have 2 + one Jonathan's Winesap dwarf)
  • Purchased additional garlic and planted it
  • Side-dressed the sprouted garlic with fish emulsion
  • Fixed two broken patio chairs
  • Thinned out tomato plants
  • Cleaned out and mulched the landscaping beds
  • Finished filling the potato beds with compost and soil
  • Oiled and tested all the mowers and weedeaters

Not too shabby of a weekend.   On top of that, my jalapeno seedlings are up and my blackberry bushes that I planted last year have tons of new leaves on them.  The strawberries are waking up and the onions are up a good 6 inches.

Sparkle Supreme strawberries waking up from a long winter's nap.

Outside, I hear the pitter patter of a soft, steady rain on the patio flagstone.  Spring is here indeed.  What were you up to this weekend? 

This post is linked up to this week's Country Garden Showcase.

2 comments:

  1. You have been busy and what a great motivation to the rest of us. Thank you my dear for sharing. I look forward to what you've been working on, it pushes my out of my chair and into action.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...