Welcome to Cranky Puppy Farm!

This blog belongs to two Gen X-er's smackdab in downtown Kansas City where we've been renovating and decorating two old Victorians built in the 1890's. Our life is filled with 3 demanding Pomeranians (1 of them cranky, of course), honking cars, noisy neighbors and the hustle and bustle of city life but we dream of the day when we can move to our 40-acre farm and hear nothing but the wind and the cows next door. Until then, we're chronicling our triumphs and mishaps here as we try to garden and preserve on 2 city lots, raise chickens, and learn all those things we should have learned from our grandparents. Welcome to our world - we hope you'll stay awhile!

Quick Seedling Update

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dost thou love life?
Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of.
~Benjamin Franklin

 
It's amazing what 72 hours can do....

Roma seedlings on March 11th

The same Roma seedlings after 72 hours under grow lights

Not a darned one of my jalapeno or Early Calwonder seeds are up yet and we're at 10 days past planting. Not a clue what's up with that.  I may have to try again with different seeds.

Finally, I just got an email today that my Yellow Finn potatoes, asparagus, blackberries and strawberries have shipped.  I'm hoping they'll be here in time to get the potatoes planted this weekend.  It's been 82 degrees here for the past 3 days and, if the weather stays this way, we are well past time to plant potatoes as they're a cool season crop.  Hurry, Mr. Postman!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh... I hope we're not in for a blistering summer here... but so far, we have half our crops in, including potatos and peas. My husband is out there right now watering them, since we didn't get the promised rain (yet) this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just made me feel a lot better, Mary Ann, as I was trying to figure out whether or not I should plant early. I could just see me doing that and then we get snow in April! And I think everyone is wondering the same thing - is this summer going to be 120 degrees? Gak...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...