Welcome to Cranky Puppy Farm!

This blog belongs to two Gen X-er's smackdab in downtown Kansas City where we've been renovating and decorating two old Victorians built in the 1890's. Our life is filled with 3 demanding Pomeranians (1 of them cranky, of course), honking cars, noisy neighbors and the hustle and bustle of city life but we dream of the day when we can move to our 40-acre farm and hear nothing but the wind and the cows next door. Until then, we're chronicling our triumphs and mishaps here as we try to garden and preserve on 2 city lots, raise chickens, and learn all those things we should have learned from our grandparents. Welcome to our world - we hope you'll stay awhile!

Reach for The Sky

Saturday, June 09, 2012

It's a busy Saturday for us here at Cranky Puppy. In a couple of minutes, we need to drive to Independence to drop the furballs off at the doggie salon to get their summer haircuts, then we have to boogie back to the hood for a stone tuckpointing class from 9 to 11, then it's back to Independence to drop off a trailer load of concrete from the cleanup we've been doing around here.  Then it's lunch and off to Home Depot to get the lumber to build a fence over at the rental house.  Whew!  And did I mention that it's supposed to be 90 today?

In other news, the dang lettuce is starting to bolt.  To be expected, I guess, since it has been so dang warm this Spring.  I mean, look at this lettuce reaching for the sky!  Nothing I can do about it at this point but let it seed out and save the seeds for a fall crop.  We're still eating this, but it tends to get more bitter once it bolts.


On a related skyward note, my arched trellis idea is working.  The spaghetti squash has reached the top of the arch and it will be interesting to see if it starts going over the other side.  The cukes coming up over there might have something to say about that!


And I just have to throw in this picture of a squash bloom because they are so gorgeous.  Look at that striking orange color!  If you've never seen one, they're about 4 to 5 inches wide (and completely edible).  So far, no set fruit on the plants though.   Hmmppph!  I hope I get to try at least one squash this year.  I know...patience, patience.


Well, sorry for the quick ninja post but J. is calling me and I gotta get going.  Have a great Saturday!


I'm linked up to this week's Farm Girl Friday and Ole' Saturday Homestead Trading Post and Country Garden Showcase hops.  Have you checked them out yet?

2 comments:

  1. Wow you sound busy! Our lettuce bolted too we are still eating it because it is Red Sails mostly and its not too bitter yet but I figure when it gets to the point we can't eat it the chickens will get it! Thanks so much for linking up the "The Ole' Saturday Homesteading Trading Post blog hop" this week! Always love to hear what is going on at your place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Karen. You had the same idea I had also...I gave some of the lettuce to the chickens and they gobbled it right up. I guess they don't mind bitter. :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...