Welcome to Cranky Puppy Farm!

This blog belongs to two Gen X-er's smackdab in downtown Kansas City where we've been renovating and decorating two old Victorians built in the 1890's. Our life is filled with 3 demanding Pomeranians (1 of them cranky, of course), honking cars, noisy neighbors and the hustle and bustle of city life but we dream of the day when we can move to our 40-acre farm and hear nothing but the wind and the cows next door. Until then, we're chronicling our triumphs and mishaps here as we try to garden and preserve on 2 city lots, raise chickens, and learn all those things we should have learned from our grandparents. Welcome to our world - we hope you'll stay awhile!

Creative Ideas for Labelling

Sunday, June 24, 2012



If you've been buzzing around here this week, you know that I made jam out of 4 lbs of the most delicious-looking strawberries I think I've ever seen.  Whether frozen or preserved, strawberries don't seem to last very long around here.  But I've had some friends and neighbors drooling on my foot when I told them what we were doing, and that got me to thinking about giving some of it as gifts.

But I hate just handing someone a plain ol' canning jar.  So I thought I would have some fun with it today and make my own labels.  Might as well be somewhat productive since it's 95 degrees outside with 3000% humidity.  All of this took me about 10 minutes total.  First, let's start with the labels:


How do you like those names for the jams? 

(Okay....there are some inside jokes there that I need to let you in on.  Our youngest dog, Domino, likes to "woo hoo".  When you say those words, he starts running back and forth down the hallway, up onto the furniture, and generally going nuts.  I picked "Sneak-A-Lick" because that's what our dogs are always trying to do when we're not looking.  And "Ornery Streak" because Domino has a white streak of fur on the top of his head and we refer to it as his ornery streak.  He is one cute little brat, that's for sure.)

Now...before you think I'm a creative supergenius.  I happened to run across a site called the Jam Labelizer, which has these designs and allows you to change the colors and wording.  So you can make these also!

Step 1.  So the first thing I did was print out the labels with my color inkjet printer.  These would look great with a color laser but mine shot craps.  I played around with the sizing and printed a couple of different sizes so that I could use the bigger size as template for some card stock and then use the smaller one as the actual label.



Step 2.  Use stencil adhesive to attach the bigger size label to some card stock (I used red since it complimented the label color). I had this card stock already, but a full sheet is just 40 cents at Hobby Lobby. 

Step 3.  If you want, you can also use a different design paper on the back.  I chose to use the red and cream design above and decided to make it the same size as the label.  Looking at it now, I wish I had made it the same size as the cardstock.  Use regular adhesive to afix the paper to the back of the card stock (the side that doesn't have the label.)

Step 4.  Carefully cut around the outside of the jam label.

Step 5. Remove the label from the cardstock. This is where using stencil adhesive comes in handy, because it will peel away very easily and not leave any sticky residue behind.

Step 6. Carefully cut around the outside of the smaller jam label.

Step 7. Using spray adhesive, afix the smaller jam label to the front of the card stock.

Voila!  Here's how it looks....




Step 8.  Use a hole punch to put a hole in the top of the label.

Step 9.  Cut a circle of fabric approximately 8 to 9 inches in diameter.  Again, here's your opportunity to be creative.  I tried felt (25 cents at the craft store), cheap muslin, and a bandana (99 cents at the craft store). 

Step 10.  Place the fabric circle on top of the jar and use a rubber band to hold the fabric down.  I can never find a rubber band when I need one, so I had to skip this step.

Step 11.  Use string, yarn, raffia or decorative ribbon to affix the fabric on top of the jar.  I tied mine in a knot and then threaded one end of it through the hole in the label.  Then I just tied a pretty bow.

Felt looks okay..but not my favorite.   I can't believe this took just 10 minutes to put together.
 
The bandana is my favorite!  I think it really dresses it up.  But I think it would look better with a cream ribbon now.

Other Ideas:
  • Place the fabric under the canning ring.  I think there are white rings, but I've never been able tind them.
  • Leave the date off the label and laminate them.  That way they can be used over and over again and you can just write the date they were preserved on the label with an erasable pen. 
  • Print these on label paper and stick them on the jar or the canning lid.  (Personally, I would do the lid.  I hate trying to get labels off the jars when you wash them!)
  • Use old dish towels for the fabric.  A white towel with red stripes would have looked awesome.
  • Personalize the labels with stickers, metallic writing, stamps or other crafts.
  • Come up with your own design  The possibilities for creativity are endless!

Well, I enjoyed sharing this with you as much as I enjoyed making them.  I love seeing what other people are doing, so if you've got some ideas for creative labelling or dressing up your canning jars, I'd love to hear about it.  Please leave me a comment!



24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Clint. By the way, congratulations on winning the drawing over on Tilly's Nest. I hope you'll do a review after you get a chance to read through the book that you won.

      Delete
  2. This is an adorable idea...and what prefect gifts they make.
    Over from G'Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These came out very cute ...I like the fabric also :) I bet you could use raffia or twine instead of ribbon, for a different look. Thanks for sharing your sweet little project with us! :)
    Francine
    Ethereal PLUS what I Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the raffia idea is wonderful. And maybe some burlap for the fabric? My mind is spinning.

      Delete
  4. I love how nice your labels came out I need to work on some projects like that now in the summer to get ready for the holidays when we give our honey out! Thanks so much for the resources too! Have a great Sunday and so glad you linked up to "The Ole' Saturday Homesteading Trading Post" this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo...honey! How do I get on your holiday list? :-)

      Delete
  5. Cool labels! Who would have guessed there would be a site just for jam labels? Amazing! Also, I'm with you, trying to get stuck on labels off of jars is really the pits, I like the lid idea. Enjoy the jam:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm thinking about coming up with some labels that are round that you can print and use on the lids. The ring would hold them on, so need to print them on labels. What do you think?

      Delete
  6. Love it- it will be perfect for our cordial gifts! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing after I read your post. Thanks for posting your recipe - I am definitely going to try making them.

      Delete
  7. What lovely labels!!!! I love that idea ! I enjoyed peeking around your sight while I was here to check out the labels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Tamatha, and I'm so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stay awhile.

      Delete
  8. Those are great! Thanks for popping over and linking this up to the Carnival of Home Preserving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura! I love the carnival - so many cool things that folks are coming up with.

      Delete
  9. How cute! I'm always looking for a little extra something to put on my jars when I give them out. I'll be trying this out soon. Thanks!!
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to have you here, Lori. I was just kicking around on your blog and saw your farmer's market post. Have you ever had Honeycrisp apples? One bite and I was in love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks awsome,thanks for the great tute!! Also the new site link, souns fub to try!
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great label ideas! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are cute ideas! We are so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Please come back again really soon! Thanks! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so clever! Those labels look amazing. The jam looks delish too! Thanks so much for sharing this post at my Say G'day linky party!

    This week's linky is now live and I am very excited to invite you to a Social media linky party that I will be hosting on July 14. The details are all at the blog if you would like to join in.

    Best wishes for a wonderful weekend,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is very cute!!! Thank you so much for sharing this great gift idea. I'm doing it soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...