Welcome to Cranky Puppy Farm!

This blog belongs to two Gen X-er's smackdab in downtown Kansas City where we've been renovating and decorating two old Victorians built in the 1890's. Our life is filled with 3 demanding Pomeranians (1 of them cranky, of course), honking cars, noisy neighbors and the hustle and bustle of city life but we dream of the day when we can move to our 40-acre farm and hear nothing but the wind and the cows next door. Until then, we're chronicling our triumphs and mishaps here as we try to garden and preserve on 2 city lots, raise chickens, and learn all those things we should have learned from our grandparents. Welcome to our world - we hope you'll stay awhile!

A Welcome Warm-up

Monday, January 13, 2014


Yesterday, it was 64 degrees.
 
That's certainly MUCH more hospitable climate than what we had almost two weeks ago as the Polar Vortex whirled overhead.
 
So I put on a sweatshirt, grabbed the copy of "Lone Survivor" that I had bought J. for Christmas and headed outside to supervise recess for the girls. 
 
Like me, they were happy to get out after being cooped up (literally!) for 5 days and spent several hours destroying the compost pile and digging around in the freshly dug garden.
 
Apparently someone was having so much fun that they couldn't be bothered to go back to the coop to lay, so they left their egg sitting in the middle of the muddy garden plot.  My shoes must have weighed an extra 5 pounds each after I went out to retrieve it.
 
It was a nice reprieve from our normal January cold.  A beautiful day that, like a rare bird in your camera lens, you have to capture before it is gone in the blink of your eye. 
 
And now we're back in the 40's.  Still, that's better than -5!
 
After putting the chickens in the coop for bed time, I finished the last few pages and then headed inside.  If you haven't seen the "Lone Survivor" movie, I recommend that you do.  It opened nationwide to over twice what they thought it was going to, and I'd like to think that's because we Americans still support and respect our military. We tried unsuccessfully to get in twice and finally got to watch it during the first showing on Sunday morning.
 
I found it a hard movie to watch, and I was glad that I read the book before I saw it, as I could hear Marcus Lutrell's own words in my mind as I watched.  Of course, the movie does take some liberties with what really happened, but that's to be expected.
 
Well, trees are budding and the snow is almost gone.  Seed catalogs are arriving daily.  Can you smell Spring in the air?  What do we have?  7 more weeks?
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...