Welcome to Cranky Puppy Farm!

This blog belongs to two Gen X-er's smackdab in downtown Kansas City where we've been renovating and decorating two old Victorians built in the 1890's. Our life is filled with 3 demanding Pomeranians (1 of them cranky, of course), honking cars, noisy neighbors and the hustle and bustle of city life but we dream of the day when we can move to our 40-acre farm and hear nothing but the wind and the cows next door. Until then, we're chronicling our triumphs and mishaps here as we try to garden and preserve on 2 city lots, raise chickens, and learn all those things we should have learned from our grandparents. Welcome to our world - we hope you'll stay awhile!

2014: Lion or Lamb?

Wednesday, January 01, 2014



2014 came in like a lion, or at least I think it did.  After a 50 degree weather reprieve on New Years Eve, the first day of the new year brought us sub-20 degree weather and an inch of snow.  J. and I brought Henrietta in to her second home in the basement because the temps are expected to drop significantly from here as that storm passes by up north.  The heated doggie water bowl just isn't able to keep up with such low temps, so her water is constantly frozen.  And, despite having a heater in her house, she would rather roost on its roof.  I would hate to go out and check on her only to find a hencicle!
 
I suspect, like all of you, I am hoping for a better year than last.  2013 was a year of ups and downs and it ended with me being sick for the last 3 weeks.  Lucky me...December was a whirlwind of trying to get shopping done in between two bouts of the stomach flu and a nasty cold.  Modern medicine is to blame...I went in for to get a prescription refilled and came out with sulfa meds for a sinus infection.  Those totally screwed me up and started the whole downward spiral.  (I'll never take those again!)  I'll spare you the details but suffice it to say that it was NOT a lot of fun. I almost missed the big family Christmas gathering at his mom's house because I was still running a fever.  I'm oh-so-glad I went though, as it was a ton of fun even if I didn't feel all that great.  J. and I didn't even wrap our presents to each other this year, there was no tree (and I LOVE Christmas trees!) - we just didn't have the energy for all of it.  And you can tell from my absence over the last 3 weeks that I haven't had the energy for blogging either.
 
But I'm still vertical, back to 100% and that's all behind us now...and we are ALL going to have a great year in 2014, right?
 
Right!

4 comments:

  1. Right! Well I had a GREAT year in 2013...got this really cool house...;->

    I expect 2014 will be even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, sister! It's all about attitude and I don't think anyone can say that you and I don't have attitude. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you are feeling better! Sounds like you had some rough weeks there at the end of the year. Here's to a healthy 2014! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! And now I have so much catching up to do with everyone else. Happy New Year to you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...