I'm sure you're tired of hearing me and all the other bloggers talk about how darn hot it is - I know I certainly am tired of talking about it. It's not going anywhere, so let's move on to a slightly cooler topic, shall we? I thought I would talk about one of the ways that I like to stay cool and refeshed on a hot summer day. Watermelon smoothies!
These are a perfect way to use up extra watermelon that you might have in your fridge. And they're completely healthy to boot. Watermelon is full of antioxidants and is about 92% water, so it will help keep you hydrated and flush out . My recipe will fill 3 pint jars.
This is the simple recipe that I use, but there are also all kinds of variations. You might consider trying one of these add-ins:
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt to make it creamier
- 1 cup lemon or lime sherbet
- 1 can ginger ale or citrusy soda like Sprite or 7-Up
- 12 oz container of frozen lemonade or limeade
- 1 cup strawberry ice cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- whole strawberries - replace 1 cup of the watermelon with strawberries for a sweeter taste
And here are a couple of other ideas:
Watermelon sorbet: Freeze the slush mixture and then reblend it for a nice sorbet with dinner.
Melon pops: Pour the slush into popsicle molds for a sweet treat for the kids.
Trust me, watermelon slushies are really good. I hope you'll try this recipe out and, if you come up with any interesting twists on this recipe, I'd love to hear them.