Don't those look yummy? I'm a cheese lover, so when I saw Gruyere cheese on sale last week, a lightbulb went on. Let's make gougères! What the heck is a gougère, you say? That's just a fancy name for cheese puffs - slightly crunchy on the outside but all steaming cheesy airiness on the inside.
You can make these with just about any cheese, but Gruyere has a certain.....je ne sais quoi. I think that means "great taste" in French. Or "stupid American". I'm not sure which. (Just kidding.) If you've never had it, Gruyere cheese has a really nice flavor, slightly sweet, a little salty, without being overbearingly sharp. It's really great to bake with and melts nicely. The downside? It's really pricey if you don't find it on sale.
NOTE: If you don't have Gruyeye on hand, you can substitute other cheeses in this recipe. I wouldn't use cheddar or any other oily cheese, however. It needs to be a variety that melts nicely.
So let's get started on thoose cheezy poofs:
Gruyere Cheese Puffs
Total Time: 35 minutes (10 minutes prep, 25 minutes baking)
- 1 cup water (can sub 1/2 cup milk to make these a little denser)
- 1 stick salted butter, cut into 8 tablespoons
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 8 oz Gruyere
|Oops! I'm missing my 4 eggs from this picture. :-(|
- Immediately add all of the flour at once, stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Remove the dough from the pan and place it into a bowl to cool slightly (about 3 to 5 minutes).
|The dough resting in a bowl right before adding the cheese.|
- Add the eggs one at a time. Using a wooden spoon, stir briskly as you add each egg.
- Add the Gruyere cheese and mix into the dough.
- Use a tablespoon to place the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet . I usually make mine about the size of 2 tablespoons. (Some folks dump the dough into a pastry bag and make pretty mounds of dough. Who has time for that? Not me. I want some cheese puffs!)
- Optional: Sprinkle the top with a little shredded Parmesan for an added kick.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Enjoy! These are best when right out of the oven.
Hope y'all enjoy these cheezy poofs and have a great day,