|The house we're working on is two doors to the right of this house!|
Sorry....for some reason, I'm channeling The Talking Heads this morning.
There was quite a bit of excitement last night and not excitement of the good kind. J. and I were having a painting party over at the old Victorian and trying to finish up the last couple of rooms when the caterwauling from a stream 4 HUGE firetrucks streamed past the front window. All lights and noise, they just kept coming. Then an ambulance and several other KCFD trucks. And they stopped just outside the house!
I was absolutely terrified that our house was on fire, so we ran outside only to find that it was the neighbor's house two doors down. The entire 2nd floor was engulfed and smoke was streaming out of the windows and the roof. The firefighters were so fast that they had already gotten inside and busted out all the windows on the second floor, and were chopping holes in the roof.
Our neighbors were in the house when it started - apparently from a space heater that fell on top of a pile of clothing. One woman fell down the back staircase trying to get out and, fortunately, that was the only injury. We'll have to take a look at it in the light of the day today, but my guess is that this old house isn't fixable without some serious cash. It will probably be torn down but, having looked at buying it ourselves and seeing the state that it was in, that's probably not a bad thing.