Welcome to Cranky Puppy Farm!

This blog belongs to two Gen X-er's smackdab in downtown Kansas City where we've been renovating and decorating two old Victorians built in the 1890's. Our life is filled with 3 demanding Pomeranians (1 of them cranky, of course), honking cars, noisy neighbors and the hustle and bustle of city life but we dream of the day when we can move to our 40-acre farm and hear nothing but the wind and the cows next door. Until then, we're chronicling our triumphs and mishaps here as we try to garden and preserve on 2 city lots, raise chickens, and learn all those things we should have learned from our grandparents. Welcome to our world - we hope you'll stay awhile!

It's the End of the Silliness, and I Feel Fine

Friday, December 21, 2012

See more "end of the world" humor at http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/bl-end-of-the-world.htm.
 
I guess we're all supposed to die today in some big comet strike, supervolcano erruption, zombie apocalypse, nuclear war, or some other such nonsense. I actually woke up today with R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" going through my head as I peeked with one eye to see if I was indeed fine. Nothing seems amiss so far. I'm starting to think some ancient civilizations are playing a joke on us.


Maybe the cataclysm just hasn't happened yet? Did the Mayans or the Hopi Indians give a timeframe? Just in case, I decided to take the day off and bake cookies. There's no way I'm spending my supposed last day on this earth at work.

Before we pawn this off as just another day,...there IS something special today and a reason to celebrate. It's Winter Solstice! That means that the nights are getting shorter and the days are getting longer.  To many ancient cultures, this day signaled the end of the "dark days".  We hit that mark at 5:11 a.m. this morning here at the farm.  

Now that is a reason to celebrate! Well, that and cookies.  Party on, my fellow citizens of Earth, party on.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...