Welcome to Cranky Puppy Farm!

This blog belongs to two Gen X-er's smackdab in downtown Kansas City where we've been renovating and decorating two old Victorians built in the 1890's. Our life is filled with 3 demanding Pomeranians (1 of them cranky, of course), honking cars, noisy neighbors and the hustle and bustle of city life but we dream of the day when we can move to our 40-acre farm and hear nothing but the wind and the cows next door. Until then, we're chronicling our triumphs and mishaps here as we try to garden and preserve on 2 city lots, raise chickens, and learn all those things we should have learned from our grandparents. Welcome to our world - we hope you'll stay awhile!

Those Naughty Onions

Saturday, April 28, 2012


I've been crowing for a couple of weeks now about how good my onions look and I should have known better.  I jinxed myself, I think.  Because look what I just found in the garden.


See that little bulb on the end of the stem in the center of the picture?  That's a soon-to-be onion flower.  Some of the onions have bolted because of the crazy weather we've been having.  I knew this was bad but, since this is my first time growing onions, I had to do some research on what to do about it.  I mean, do you just snip the bud off and let them continue?  Do you harvest them?  What gives?

Well, it IS bad news. Onions flower during their second year and temperature fluctuations can cause them to do this.  Once they start, you can't do anything about it except harvest them.  And they probably won't store for very long.  I pulled the three that had the buds on them and here's what I found.



Absolutely nothing.  While these are still good to eat (both the white and green parts), there's no huge bulb on the end.  Aaaarrggghhh!  I thought I had done everything perfectly - side dressed them, good dirt, etc.  I really hope it was the weather.  Any ideas?  I guess I'll have to plant some more and see how that goes over the summer - they take about 8 to 10 weeks, so I could be harvesting again in June or July.

On a good note, though, I just pulled (and J. ate) our first strawberry grown here at Cranky Puppy Farm.  He reported with a grin that it was very tasty and sweet.  So at least I can grow s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g.  It is rather cute, isn't it?


Toodaloo 'til next time,





Linked to: Garden Life, Farm Girl Friday, and Ole' Saturday Homesteading Trading Post and Monday Barn Hop hops.

3 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous strawberry! Keith's been having them in his oatmeal in the morning... as I am not a strawberry fan unless it's jam. We've also been pulling onions green here, but not because of bolting... but I guess I'm not surprised because of the wild temp fluctuations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weather can cause onions to bolt, but so can having the wrong daylength sensitive onion bulb for the region. There are short day, long day and intermediate onion bulbs and having no big bulb could be a sign of the wrong type for your area. Here's a good link on the subject:

    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/guides/vegetable-crops/onion.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes weather can cause them to bolt or it could be what happened to me one year. The had the wrong onions in the wrong bin, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...